Saturday, June 23, 2012

Youth LOVE Classical Music! Energy for the arts!

     Classical Music 
   + Youth of the World 
   = Energy for the ARTS!


You guys know I am a music lover...In my case it's both genetic and environmental... nature and nurture... biological and learned.


Our moments of youth shape us in paramount ways.
This was fortunate for me, because it shaped me into the love of music...a soul healing, spiritual path... one that gave me tools for joyous living and spiritual connection.


Recollections from my youth remind me that I:


* sat at my mother's knee as she strummed and picked the guitar.
* created, as a toddler, harmonies to shaped-note church hymns.
* sang and read the moving alto line before I could even read words.
* taught myself a little piano from my sister's John Thompson book.
* took piano for one year (1st grade) from Ms. Lawhon (strict lady!)
* observed my bro's band rehearse rock'n'roll in our living room.
* attended family reunions, virtually all relatives played music.
* received my first guitar at age 12, a treasured gift from my parents.
* learned to play guitar via my mother, and I wrote some songs.
* sang in church choir (7-12)as we performed christian musicals.
* sang as a member of "His People" (9-12) music concert ensemble.
* cringed as my dad played a "bad bluegrass 8 track" every morn!
* listened to James Taylor and Carole King more than is possible.
* sang solos in ensemble and church choir.
* sat around the campfire, singing with my youth group, retreats, etc.
* went to music week at Ridgecrest several times and was inspired!
* went undecided to Campbell College, auditioned for voice dept.
* took my first voice lesson the month before I auditioned.
* got wonderful (and hard) Mrs. Horton as a voice teacher.
* took my first ballet class in Raleigh with Mrs. Horton.
* sang in Chapel Choir and Concert Choir at Campbell.
* performed recitals, talent shows at Campbell and soloist in church.


As I recollect these fabulous experiences, I thank my parents tremendously for giving me this life and experience in music! 
What a spectacular gift that goes on giving!


And, it's fairly clear from my list that I essentially had very little "formal" music training. Most of what I gained was via osmosis, being around instrumentalists, experiencing first-hand with instruments, listening and absorbing the music all around. It was as if I were wrapped up in a blanket of music... softly caressing me and gently creating a soft place to lay my head and rest.  It is my soul place... where I best meet God, where I connect with other musicians. Music is a place called home.


I wonder if my ancestors (since so many in my family play stringed instruments and sing) used music as a tool for therapy and healing back in the day? I have a great-grandfather who taught singing school in Alabama (a relative still has his baton) and a talented aunt who is a pianist from my dad's side.  I have tons of bluegrass relatives who play every stringed instrument imaginable, on my mom's side.  Lots and lots of singers, too.


Could it be that these traditions, passed on and on, sustain us through  this earthen journey all the way to heaven?


I was fortunate to be born into a musical family... others are not.
Yet, I believe ALL children and youth would benefit from the valuable lessons and emotional sustenance music provides. Studies also indicate that music improves brain functioning. It's a "no-brainer"... pardon the pun!


Yes, indeed, ALL youth can benefit from music.  Not to become superstars... that's not what this is about... but rather, to embrace the self-discipline that music study brings, to feel the accomplishment and personal ego strength that music study evokes, to experience a life-long enjoyment that music study provides!  


Here is Gustavo Dudamel (LA Philharmonic Maestro) conducting a Venezuelan youth symphony! It is the most fun I've had watching symphonic music, ever! It is long, but well worth watching to the end... (if you only have a few mins... speed on over to the 14:00 mark) This will put some zip in your day! Viva la musica!!






PROOF:
Youth can and WILL enjoy good solid music (even classical music) if they are given more opportunities to do so!


Hallelujah to the Arts! 
Let's keep the music in our schools, in our communities, in our youth programs everywhere!


Music should be the first program in our schools... NOT the last!
Build creativity via music... and build the mind! 
Tests do little to evoke creativity... music explodes with it!


Have a marvelously musical day!


La - Ti - Do (Re - Mi - Fa - So - La!)


Jeanne








   

No comments:

Post a Comment