Sunday, February 26, 2012

Let's start at the very beginning... do - re - mi

Welcome to my blog!

Okay, today is the day! Blog start day... and I've decided to write about life as it comes my way.

Singing and creating are two of my greatest joys... I was fortunate to have parents who sent me off to college... gently nudged me out of the nest and out into the world. After all, I was only 17 years old, and skinny as a rail, more than a little bit naive, traditional values, outgoing... and had not a clue about life!  Music school called me... reached out and said let's do it!

I found myself at "the Creek" a.k.a. Campbell College in Buies Creek, NC, in 1974, spending hours in the practice rooms of the music school. I was continuously playing, singing, jamming with... other musicians. It was then that I realized I could not help singing ALL the time.  So, I scheduled an audition for voice and began a Bachelor of Music degree. Though exposed to lots of church and country music, and piano lessons in 1st grade, I'd really had NO other official training in singing or in music as to prepare me for college...  What a leap!

Had I known what was in store, I may never have had the courage. Nonetheless, naivety played in my favor and wa-laaa!!! I did it! What a gift it has been!

Here is a pic of my mom playing self-taught guitar across from the Anna Maria Island City Pier around 1945. I was bathed in blue-grass and gospel music from birth!


That same girl above is sitting on the bed in the pic below.  This is mom 65 years later, still playing bluegrass...here with my two brothers at a family outing on Anna Maria Island. Dad plays harmonica!


There is music heritage from dad's side, too... my great grandfather used a baton to direct church music back in the 1800's A cousin still has his baton.

In my family... musicianship is a tradition... a life-link... a spiritual journey...

I went on to raise daughters. The message to them was simply this... "music is a literacy skill that gives back for your entire life! Like it or not, you WILL take music lessons until the end of high school.  Just as I  would never let you quit English, Math, or Writing, I will also not let you quit music!" - now that they are grown, they get it, and they thank me immensely!

Yes... they love music, too!

See ya next post!

la - ti- do...
Jeanne

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanne! So proud of you for starting a blog! Loved reading about your family's history of music. I have fond memories of singing beside your piano in your beautiful home. :)Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Elise! So good to hear from you, sweetie!! I, too, have fond memories of your beautiful voice singing beside my piano! And I miss your precious spirit and amazing smile! You are a shining star!

    ReplyDelete