Sunday, March 11, 2012

Worthy Is the Lamb - Sing-a-Long Soul!


SUNDAY
or
SON-DAY
at
Seventh and James Baptist Church
where
Reverend Erin Conaway
is our new pastor
*he brings insight each week to our worship*
*we are fortunate the God sent him to our church*
*and his wife is a terrific singer... sings next to me which is fun*


Here at 7th, you will find...
A place where the organ will lift you up to heaven EVERY week
when we sing the congregational hymns!

My dear, dear friend *a.k.a. music partner extraordinaire
Lydia Bratcher
is the organist at 7th & James!

For me, music is always worship at 7th!

So much of my life
has been shaped in this sacred place!

I raised my kids there...
Led the Children's Choir for several years...
Started the Children's Handbell Choir...
Started the Youth Choir...
Sang in the Adult Choir for approximately 24 years... and still do!

This is the window at the back of the sanctuary above the entrance to the narthex...

It is beautiful!




Since I sit in the choir loft, I get to look at this beautiful window every Sunday as we sing...

And we are a church of GREAT music tradition...

Many years ago when Dr. Hugh Sanders was our choral director...

we started a Sing-a-long Messiah!

Our current choral director, Dr. Donnie Balmos, has continued that glorious tradition.

It goes like this... and this is worth hearing...!!!!

*all the directors, soloists and instrumentalists are from our Baylor/Waco community*
*they conduct with NO rehearsal*
*the whole audience sings with NO rehearsal*
*there is not an OFFICIAL choir... the audience IS the CHOIR*
*people who love to sing bring this marvelous score and sing their hearts out every holiday*

At this season of Lent
I have been listening to and singing Lenten music

it keeps me mindful of Jesus' suffering...

The video below uses a Lenten text
from our Sing-a-Long Messiah at 7th and James
this past December...

I found it on youtube this morning ~





"Worthy Is the Lamb that was Slain/Amen Chorus"
by
George F. Handel

If you listen to the end, you will see what stirs me most about this music!

This video was taken from an iPhone in the back of the church...
Dr. David Music, directed this chorus...
(Dr. Balmos puts it all together, invites conductors, and directs the soloists)

Listen to the entire selection for a truly uplifting and soul-full experience!

I begin getting chills at around 5:00 mins
and
tears fill my eyes around 6:50...

I get to sing on the soprano part...
and just as Anna Maria is like heaven on earth for me,

I tend to believe that God's heaven must include singing
in a magnificent and
unrehearsed choir just like this one!

As you listen, I hope you are as spiritually moved as I...

And this is why I sing...

La - Ti- Do!

Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment